Update on Job and Projects
Now that CREY Games is over, it is time to move on to the next project.
Let the Wombat Kombat Begin!
I'm staying in game development, and currently working for a freshly started Danish startup called Wombo Games, but more on that another time.
The project is using Unity, so that's what I started to learn. In fact, I have been at it for a few months now. My role is to create the technical side of the entire UI, so my studies are mainly directed at that, especially the new UI system called UI Toolkit. At the end of the project, I expect to be quite experienced in Unity in general.
Since there is a lot to learn, I cannot afford now to work on something as radically different as my Voxel Game Engine. At least not for the coming few months.
Voxel Game Engine
The last time I worked on it the engine was nearly finished. I have almost every feature I wanted, only a few tweaks are needed, and then I can focus 100% on the game logic, which is written in Squirrel.
The engine uses 2D voxels for the main layout, and primitive shapes for everything else. The point to all this is to be able to use raytraced reflections and global illumination that are cheap enough not to require an RTX graphics card, and I already have a working proof of concept here.
The enemies will be built from primitive shapes, so expect a bit of a Minecrafty look. To compensate for this, I'm going with procedural animation, make everything feel alive. So far I made a spider that walks with procedural animation, and a Shoggoth-like blob enemy that retains its general mass as it squeezes through small holes.
Pepitautomat remake (again)
Now, regarding Unity, of course I have a demo game already. I went with something simple and chose Pepitautomat. This is that game I initially wrote in Adobe Flash, but had to remove because browsers no longer support it. Then I ported it to CREY, and even added 15 extra levels where you have to make the board match an image, but then CREY got shut down too. Now I ported it to Unity using WebGL so it runs in the browser, and it even works on mobile devices, despite Unity not supporting them officially.
I designed the UI with mobile devices in mind, the game adjusts to both portrait and landscape mode and has big enough buttons to be pushed on touch screens. I even added another 16 levels, so there is now 32 in total.
The web build is 18 MB big, which is not ideal, but unfortunately that's the overhead necessary for the web player.